How can we Manage and Prevent Ankle Sprain?
Ankle sprain is a very common injury. What should we do after ankle injury? How can we prevent it from being sprained again?
- Inappropriate footwear causing poor balance, e.g. high heels, or shoes with a soft sole
- Improper shoe habits, e.g. shoelaces not tightened causing the foot not stabilized in shoes
- Sudden twisting or excessive stress of the joint during sports, e.g. playing basketball, tennis, football, etc.
- Foot malalignment, such as flat feet, over-pronated feet and high arches, which cause excessive rotation of the ankle, resulting in overstretching of the ankle ligaments
- Old wounds of sprained ankle cause weakening of ligaments and risk of further injury
- Pain and swelling
- Stiffness of joints
- Impairment of mobility
- Custom-made prescription foot orthoses: To control foot deformity and stabilize the ankle, thus reducing the risk of injury
- Ankle brace: Ankle brace provides appropriate pressure and support to the injured area during rehabilitation. It helps protecting the ankle, reducing swelling and preventing further injury.
- Proper shoes: Choosing shoes with firm heel counter and midsole helps to stabilize the ankle and reduce the risk of ankle sprains
- Stretching exercises: Stretching exercises help to relieve muscle tension and improve muscle flexibility.
- Balancing exercises: Strengthening the muscles around ankle joint increases the stability.
- Cold therapy: Applying a cold pack to the injured area within 48 hours after injury to prevent swelling and reduce pain.
- Rest : Sufficient rest for ankle is necessary for recovery
足踝痛 有急性與慢性之分? 拯救處理方法大不同!