What is In-toe and Out-toe?
In-toe and out-toe walking are common gait problems in children, in which, the chance of having in-toe walking (or called pigeon toe gait) is higher. However, the out-toe problem should not be ignored as it will exacerbate the over-pronation on sub-talar joints, which can lead to related symptoms.
- Genetically related or triggered by developmental problem.
- Inappropriate sitting or sleeping posture (e.g. too much cross-legged sitting)..
- Muscle imbalance (e.g. tight muscles in the posterior and lateral thighs).
- More pronounced flat feet or pronated feet posing an out-toe image.
- Easy to fall
- Walking with a pronounced out-toe, like a pigeon.
- The flat foot problem is exacerbated by excessive pronation and fallen arch caused by out-toeing.
- Custom-made foot orthoses: Corrects the foot biomechanical deformity. It helps to reduce the symptoms of pronated feet and falls caused by out-toeing.
- Gait Plate : With the use of the specially designed “Gait plate”, children’s problem of external rotation of the lower legs can be relieved and they can grow up with healthy feet.
- Correct sitting and lying posture: Reduce prolonged sitting and sleeping on the knees.
- Stretching exercises